I am excited to be the new Social Media and Event Coordinator for the Delaware chapter of HITC. Everything about this position excites me: blogging, social media, connecting with women, visiting local businesses, and helping charities. As a lifelong Delaware resident, this small state has a very special place in my heart. While traveling to new places is one of my passions, I am always happy to come back home to the charm and peacefulness of Delaware.
Because I am terrible at talking about myself, I decided to answer a few questions that will hopefully help you know me better....and feel free to ask anything you want! I am an open book.
1. What was the best vacation you ever took? My daughter and I just took a trip to London and Paris in June, thanks to the hubby. We had an AMAZING time. I'll admit, I was scared to death to travel to two different countries with just the two of us -- but we did it! Now I am looking to go to Ireland and Switzerland. Bucket list items!!!
2. What are your hobbies? I have played tennis since I was 13. I don't get to play as much as I want to, but it's one of my absolutely favorite things to do. I was rated pretty highly once upon a time. I took a break to have kids and am now only one level lower than I was before. My goal for 2019 is to move back up...and to not tear another achilles! I also read a lot. My "dream" is to write a novel, but that hasn't happened. Instead, I read tons of chick-lit. It allows me to escape everyday life.
3. Would you say you’re more of an extrovert or an introvert? A few years ago I would've said an introvert. Now, I would say I am a mix. Apparently that is called an "ambivert". I definitely prefer quieter settings, but I can acclimate pretty well to anything.
4. What is your definition of success? I have learned over the years that success is defined differently by everyone. I used to think it just meant you made a lot of money. To me, success is: having a healthy, happy family; a life that makes me excited to get up each day; and knowing that I gave back to others in some way.
5. If you could do anything, besides what you're doing now, what would you do? I would most definitely want to be a successful writer (think Elin Hilderbrand). I'd write chick-lit books that make women laugh and escape life for a while. I also think it would be very cool to do book tours and sign autographs. Silly? Yes. True? Totally.
6. If you could go back to anytime in history, where would you go? I love, love, love the Colonial Period. Williamsburg is one of my favorite places to visit because I can pretend I am actually living in the 1700s. Our state is steeped in colonial history, which probably sparked my interest in the era. My favorite movie is (don't laugh) "1776". Yes, the musical. I always make my family watch it on July 4th. Let's just say that they don't share my passion for the movie.
7. How can someone win a gold star with you? I am huge on punctuality, manners, and being "real". Don't be late, don't be rude, and don't tell me what you think I want to hear. That's it. Oh, and be grammatically correct. I was an English teacher, after all.
8. What’s your guilty pleasure? Bravo TV, without a doubt. I watch every episode of "Housewives", with NYC and Beverly Hills being my favorites. I also love "Vanderpump Rules", "Southern Charm", and "Flipping Out". And you will probably learn that I have a slightly unhealthy love for anything Bradley Cooper. My husband knows. It's ok.
9. Where is your happy place? Ever since I was born, I have gone to Maine for 1-2 weeks in the summer. It is where my grandparents honeymooned and then vacationed with their family, my mom and her two sisters. I continue that tradition with my own husband and kids now. We usually get a place on a lake and then take day trips to the ocean and the mountains. It is the one place where I feel completely at peace and content. The air is cleaner, cooler, and fresher. The accents are great. The lobster is cheap(er). And we are ALL TOGETHER AS A FAMILY with very few everyday distractions. I love it.
10. If you could invite 3 people, dead or alive, to a dinner party, who would they be, and why? Bradley Cooper, Adam Levine, and Chase Utley. I mean, come on. Just me and three gorgeous guys at a dinner party??? What's there to explain? I know I should say something like Ghandi and Mother Teresa....but I didn't.
Hi. My name is Kelley Cole and I am the new Social Media and Event Coordinator for Delaware Housewives in the City. I am a mom to two amazing kids. My daughter (P) is 12 and my son (T) is 8. My husband works for a local education association and also serves on Dover's City Council. I was a high school English teacher for 16 years before leaving the classroom to work part-time as a trainer for an educational software company. I make sure I reserve time to play tennis, read chick lit, travel, and enjoy the small things in life (like wine and chocolate).