Guest Post By Patty Pierleonardi
Mold is the four letter word that no one wants to hear. It is not to be confused with Mole, which can be a growth on your body when your skin cells grow in a cluster instead of spread throughout the skin, or the furry little mammal with tiny ears and eyes that have powerful paws for tunneling and digging for earthworms. The word, mold, is not a pretty word. I feel like my skin is turning green just saying it! It does rhyme with the word “gold” though, which is beautiful, shiny and makes me think of Dubai, Paris and the Buckingham Palace when I say it. I think of fungus, wet basements and my 8th grade science project when I say the word “mold”. Big difference!
Mold is unpleasant in every form. Have you ever pulled the bread out of the breadbox to make a sandwich, so hungry for PB&J, just to find mold on it? It’s so disappointing! Have you ever stepped into a shower in a hotel or at a friend’s house (sorry friends!) and there is mildew growing on the tiles and ceiling? The whole reason for taking the shower is to get clean, yet you are surrounded by nasty mold and mildew. Kind of counter-productive, right? Have you ever walked down the steps of a basement and got smacked in the face by the smell of moisture and mildew? It is unpleasant, to say the least. All of these examples are the results of moisture in your home, which is the number one reason mold spores grow.
Mold spores are everywhere. They are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, mold plays a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter, like fallen leaves and dead trees. We like that and appreciate that. Thank you, mold! But indoors, mold growth should be avoided! When mold spores land on wet surfaces, they may begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause serious health problems. They produce allergens, irritants and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive people, or people with low immune systems, lung disease or asthma. The reactions can be immediate or delayed. I have had customers living in homes where mold is growing, thinking they are prone to colds and flu because of the constant sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and rashes, when really the symptoms are due to the mold. Once the mold was exterminated, the symptoms disappeared.
So, what is the next step to treatment once you see visible signs of mold in your home? The first thing to do is consider the area infected. Is there a moisture problem? Always fix the existing moisture problem first and install a dehumidifier. Once the moisture problem is controlled you can tackle the mold issue. Over the years, people have told me the various ways they know to get rid of mold. The most popular product is bleach. Girlfriends, please do not use bleach on your mold surface! Bleach does not kill mold. It will only remove the stain. And, did you know that bleach is toxic and classified the same as gasoline? You are doing more harm than good when using bleach. When putting bleach on sheetrock, it will omit toxic gas for up to 3 weeks. When putting bleach on wood, it will push the mold deep into the wood and it will come back with a vengeance! Bleach, my friends, is to make your whites whiter, not to kill mold!
Another method used frequently is remediation. This is a very costly and intrusive method of ridding your home of mold. But, does it work? Remediation is the possible tearing down and replacing the drywall, carpet and repainting any rooms infected. Hmmmm – what happens to the mold spores when you start tearing down the walls? The answer is that they are now being disturbed and airbourne, spreading throughout your home. You just paid to have the mold spores relocated to another part of your house. Great! Another remedy being used is Bora Care. This is the most cost effective method, but it does not contain the mold and keep it from coming back. So, now what?
Well, Pest Management Services, Inc. was introduced to a product about three years ago called SMTS. It is designed to be applied to surfaces such as walls, patios, furniture and roofs. It was invented by Dr. Leonard Pinchuk, the same man who invented the angioplasty catheters and the polymer system used in heart stents. This product, in a nutshell, controls the bacteria, fungus and mold be cleaning, killing and preventing its return. It also kills a wide range of bacteria and viruses, such as E Coli, MRSA, Salmonella, RSV and Hepititis B and C. This product is so unbelievable that it has been used on door handles and wrestling mats at high schools, in college dorms, hospitals, doctors offices and daycare facilities.
We at PMSI, have treated hundreds of residential homes with the SMTS, having wonderful results. Please check out our website at www.mypmsi.com to view the entire SMTS brochure.
Whether you choose the SMTS way to treat your mold issue or one of the other methods available, please understand that mold is everywhere. Do not let it in your home or in your lungs! Breathe well!
Hi! my name is Andrea and I'm a not-so-average Northern Virginia blogger, mom, and transplant from the Midwest. I host Girls Night Out events, meet ups, and write about events and my adventures in the DC area. I love to travel, brunch, and drink wine with my neighbors! I'm known to live on the wild side and order Venti iced double shots at 5pm.
Official Ambassador of MediaKits.com.
Copyright © 2016, SOCIALLY FUSED LLC