Betsey Bishop is a Senior Executive Director with Touchstone Crystal by Swarovski. She’s a leader of Swarovski's fastest growing division worldwide, and focuses on fun home parties and a high-quality jewelry line with 50% under $50. Betsey came from a catering and special events background, most recently with Marriott. When her son was born, she decided to stay home, and then welcomed a daughter two years later. “When they were 4 and 6, I joined a direct selling company to do home parties, because I wanted to talk to someone besides Barney and Bob the Builder, and to have a little fun money!”
Seven years later, Betsey learned that Swarovski was opening its own party company. “I figured THIS was a company that would get it right and grow it big. We are now 5 years old officially and we are exploding nationally - it has been a fantastic professional and personal journey. My personal passion is helping women learn what they're gifted in and how special they are, by showing them how to start their own small (or big) business. I love to encourage and mentor - watching women succeed is my truest reward. I keep a positive outlook by always looking at the big picture! We all have setbacks - the question is will I allow it to derail me? Or is my dream bigger than that?”
What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I wish I could have 9 lives! Minister, veterinarian, US Senator, TV news anchor, figure skater.....now I'm getting silly!
How do you maintain a work/life balance?
Everyday is different. With my children both in college, I don't have the 2:30pm work deadline any longer. At 52 I go easy on myself sometimes - getting up after 7am, for example, and taking a little nap late in the afternoon - those things ensure I have peak energy. Plus I do Pilates and Barre Sculpte, something new for me, and that allows me to turn everything off in my brain for an hour at a time!
What websites do you visit every day?
I'm a news junkie so I'm all over the place online especially with this fascinating election season we're in. I read www.shereadstruth.com most days for some inspiration. And Facebook, of course. It has changed our lives, hasn't it?
What is your favorite drink – and where can you find it in Northern Virginia?
1. My cup of coffee with cream as soon as my eyes open in the morning.....from my Keurig..... and another one after a quick nap in the afternoon :)
2. ʺTickled Pinkʺ - sort of a Sangria from BJ's Brewhouse Restaurant - just tried that last weekend and loved loved loved it.
What are your top 3 favorite people/places/things in Northern Virginia?
1. I love the winery focus that has developed in Northern Virginia over the last ten years - it's very entrepreneurial and social. It brings people together in a fun way. And I don't really even drink wine!
2. SHOPPING - Dulles, Tysons, Fair Oaks.... small downtowns like Warrenton and Leesburg.
3. All the great families who are doing such a good job raising their children with values and family customs. This is a terrific place to raise a family.
What is your goal for retirement?
Island living, fresh seafood, family, friends, ministry to teens or college students.
Do you have any advice for women who would like to start their own company?
I have a four-part mantra that I coach my team with:
1. Consistency - do something every single day for your business that's income-producing
2. Persistence - your feelings are not a good litmus test for how well you're doing in your business, so don't let a bad hour, day or week derail you. Just don't give up.
3. Training - learn everything you can from reputable sources, distill what you're learning into actionable items....and DO THEM.
4. Time - the farmer doesn't plant a seed and two hours later wonder why he hasn't produced a crop. Give it the length of time it needs to see progress and success.
Zig Ziglar said "We can get everything we want in life if we help enough others get what they want, too." It's a great philosophy for living. My life isn't about me - it's about others. When I can apply that to business too, it's a win-win!
Hi! my name is Andrea and I'm a not-so-average Northern Virginia blogger, mom, and transplant from the Midwest. I host Girls Night Out events, meet ups, and write about events and my adventures in the DC area. I love to travel, brunch, and drink wine with my neighbors! I'm known to live on the wild side and order Venti iced double shots at 5pm.
Official Ambassador of MediaKits.com.
Copyright © 2016, SOCIALLY FUSED LLC