On Sunday, Dan and I spent the day working on some things around the house (endless projects ... anyone else?) and then went to one of our favorite antique shops to peruse. We didn't find anything we loved enough to purchase, but we still enjoyed walking around treasure hunting. After that, we stopped for sandwiches at a local spot and then headed back home to our fur child, Rufus.
With temperatures hitting nearly one hundred degrees (our temperature gauge read 99 at one point in the afternoon!), I didn't want to use the oven, but I was also salivating for this delicious and super easy recipe so I did it anyway!
Behold, my Summer Veggie Quinoa - yum.
3 Medium Tomatoes
6 Bacon Slices (cooked + crumbled)
2 Handfuls of Baby Spinach
Brown Rice/Quinoa (I used two small boxes to make a heartier portion)
Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
1, Boil water for the quinoa, and follow as instructed based on the brand you purchase.
2. In a medium skillet, cook bacon and then set aside.
3. Chop tomatoes (I like to leave the guts in there too, for more flavor!) and add to the pan, then add spinach and basil. Saute about five minutes with a splash of olive oil, mixing occasionally.
4. Add the crumbled bacon to the skillet and mix into the vegetable mixture.
5. When the quinoa is done cooking, plate it and add the vegetable mixture on top.
6. Sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella cheese, if desired.