Did You Know?
- The Raleigh Christmas Parade started in 1944. This will be the 71st year that Santa comes down the streets of Downtown Raleigh to start the holiday season!
- It is the largest Christmas parade between Washington, DC and Atlanta.
- The parade was originally started by the Greater Raleigh Merchants Association as a way to kick off the Christmas shopping season
- Between the attending the parade in person and watching the televised version in the warmth of their home, over 300,000 people watch the parade every year!
- The Raleigh Christmas Parade always takes place the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
- Some parade watchers get downtown as early as 7:00 am to save their seats and watch the parade at 9:40 am.
- The parade used to take place at night! Who knew?!
The parade will be this Saturday, November 21st, at 9:40am. But plan to get there early to get a good seat! It will last about 2.5 hours. And for those that can't make it downtown, the parade telecast airs from 10:00 am to noon on WRAL-TV and UNV-TV. It will also be rebroadcast on Christmas morning so we can all keep the holiday spirit going!
If you have questions about parking, the best place to sit, etc, click here or call the Greater Raleigh Merchants Association at 919-755-9235.
If you attend the Raleigh Christmas Parade, be sure to share your pics with us here at Raleigh Durham Housewives by tagging #rdhousewives. Happy Holidays to all and to all a good night! And a good parade! ;)