Guest Post by Thao Melendez @ One of 365
I have been on a soup and Mexican food kick this month. I combined the best of both worlds this weekend and made Chicken Tortilla Soup. What I love about Tortilla Soup is that there are a variety of ways to make it. I like
mine to be a little creamy, with tomato chunks, not spicy and topped with tortilla strips, sour cream, avocado, cheese and a hint of lime. The recipe is tossed together in one pot and is easily adjustable to fit your cravings.
- 3 cups Shredded or Diced Chicken – I use boneless, skinless chicken breast (boil and shred)
- 1TBS Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes (Puree)
- 14.5oz can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 32oz Chicken Broth
- 1-2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1/4 cup Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Chopped Green Chiles (I use the El Paso 7oz cans)
- Tortilla Strips – 6 (or more) tortillas, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, slice in half and then into strips, bake for 6-10 minutes at 375
Toppings: Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese, Avocado, Lime
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch Oven over Medium Heat.
2. Add onions and cook for about five minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add spices (cumin, oregano, chili powder, smoked paprika) into the pot and mix.
4. Add tomatoes cans (with juices) and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make tortilla and shred chicken.
6. Add 1-2 tsp baking soda and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. Add in ½ cup half and half.
8. Mix in green chilies.
9. Add salt and pepper, if needed. I usually find that it can do without.
10. Add to ½cup hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot or any will do and is optional). If you want more heat, add chopped jalapeno.
11. Add chicken to pot and mix OR add chicken to individual bowls and pour soup over.
There you have it -- easy tortilla soup that comforts your soul and makes you want to curl up on the couch.
Top with: Tortilla Strips (I apologize for my poor looking strips, I never give them enough attention), sour cream and cheese (any cheese you like… I used Cheddar here, but I have used Pepper Jack for a spicier finish, and avocado.
I have an unhealthy obsession with lime. I squeeze about half a lime over my bowl. For presentation purposes and for the sake of my guests, I throw a lime slice on top and let them squeeze it themselves :)
Hi! my name is Andrea and I'm a not-so-average Northern Virginia blogger, mom, and transplant from the Midwest. I host Girls Night Out events, meet ups, and write about events and my adventures in the DC area. I love to travel, brunch, and drink wine with my neighbors! I'm known to live on the wild side and order Venti iced double shots at 5pm.
Official Ambassador of MediaKits.com.