The first day of Fall is tomorrow, and I couldn't be happier! I'll admit, I'm definitely a warm weather person, but there's something about this season that I love. From the food to the celebrations to the sweaters ... I'm sold on Fall!
Tonight, I decided to put together one of my go-to recipes for chillier weather, Swedish Meatballs. Served over mashed potatoes, they are filling (which means a little goes a long way with a crowd) and flavorful. Round this meal out with a green side, and you're set!
Start with ... Allie's Baked Meatballs
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/3c shredded parmesan cheese
3 tbsp chili sauce (or ketchup)
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl (I use my stand mixer), mix everything together.
3. With the meat mixture, form meatballs (about 2 inches) and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
4. Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes.
As the meatballs are baking ... Mashed Potatoes
Bag of yellow/gold potatoes (or Russet if you prefer)
1/2c heavy cream
1/4c unsalted butter
1/4c sour cream
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters.
2. Put the potatoes into a large stockpot, and cover them with salted water. Allow to boil about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft enough to poke with a fork and begin to fall apart.
3. Drain the potatoes, and then return to the stockpot.
4. Add the heavy cream and begin to mash the potatoes, then add the butter once the cream is mostly combined. Allow the butter to melt a minute and then continue to mash.
5. Mash in the sour cream, and then set aside.
While you're waiting for the potatoes to boil ... Swedish Meatball Gravy
7 tbsp unsalted butter
3c beef broth
3/4c sour cream
1. Melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, slowly whisk in the flour.
2. Slowly pour the beef broth in, one cup at a time, and whisk constantly for a couple of minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
3. Whisk in the sour cream and add seasoning of your choice (I added a dash of garlic powder and salt).
4. When the meatballs are done cooking, add them into the pot of sauce to heat through.
Pour the Swedish Meatballs over the Mashed Potatoes, and enjoy!